Re: [O] Link Bug?

From: Scott Randby
Subject: Re: [O] Link Bug?
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 20:58:00 -0500

On 1/15/19 4:07 PM, Marco Wahl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Scott Randby <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> First, I'm using Emacs 26.1 and Org 9.2.
>>
>> If I have [[./page.html]] in an Org file and I click on the link,
>> page.html is opened in my browser, but if I have
>> [[./page.html#section]] in the Org file and I click on that link, a
>> text file named page.html#section is opened in a buffer instead of a
>> page in my browser that starts at the desired place. I'm not sure if
>> this is a bug or not, but it isn't the kind of behavior I want. Is
>> there any way of getting around this behavior?
>
> The core of your issue seems to be that one can interpret
> "./page.html#section" as filename and also as an anchor in html file
> "./page.html".
>
> Possibly there are clever ways to make the program smarter to detect
> links to anchors in html files.
>
> A way around is to be more explicit in the link.  E.g. call a browser
> via elisp and use the "file:" protocol:
>
> [[elisp:(browse-url-firefox "file:///home/webstuff/page.html#section")]]

This sort of works, but it doesn't give me the correct link when I export to
HTML. I was hoping to check links to anchors in HTML files before exporting to
HTML, but maybe that was wishful thinking. Oh well, it is easy enough to check
such links after exporting to HTML. I don't know enough elisp to be able to
think about making Org smarter. Thanks for the help.

Scott