Re: [O] Bug: protocol capture without url corrupts org-stored-links [9.1

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: protocol capture without url corrupts org-stored-links [9.1.14 (9.1.14-1059-gadec50-elpaplus @ /home/ionasal/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20181211/)]
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 17:38:24 +0100

Hello,

Allen Li <address@hidden> writes:

> I didn't realize that org-protocol-capture is documented for URLs,
> since the concept of capturing through org-protocol is useful for
> non-web browser contexts.
>
> Anyway, I'm not interested in updating the documentation for
> org-protocol-capture at the moment, but even if org-protocol-capture
> is documented to need a URL, it seems wrong for it to corrupt
> org-stored-links but otherwise function correctly if a URL was not
> provided.

Could you give more context about the bug you're encountering? What does
mean "function correctly if a URL was not provided"? What is the use
case? What result did you expect, besides not encountering an error
message?

There are multiple ways to solve this. In particular, if a URL is not
provided, it seems natural to store nil instead, as
`org-protocol-capture' currently does. If we do not support missing URL,
then it should raise an error instead of letting it slip into
`org-insert-link'. If we do, then `org-insert-link' should handle it
gracefully.

So, again, more context could help understanding what is the best
solution.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou