Re: [O] Possible bug in org-mode (MELPA version as of 1018-11-25) : #+la

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Possible bug in org-mode (MELPA version as of 1018-11-25) : #+language: is not (fully) honored.
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 20:12:50 +0100

Emmanuel Charpentier <address@hidden> writes:

> This is *not* *documented* (not even in the `org-latex-packages-alist''s
> docstring).

I know. I fixed `org-latex-packages-alist''s docstring two days ago.

> Also agreed, with the reservation that "invasive" didn't mean the same
> thing in the 1980s (when the core size of computers was measured in
> kilobytes) and in the 2010s (the current core measurement unit is the
> /giga/byte...).

Not invasive by its sheer size, but by the number of alterations it
generates in the LaTeX default behaviour, and the incompatibilities it
may introduce. For example there used to be issues between frenchb and
KOMA-Script.

> Again, I think that the end user should *not* have to worry with this only
> when exporting to LaTeX (or beamer or PDF).

Ideally, that would be nice.

> If this can be handled silently when exporting to ODT, HTML or plain
> text, it should be handled silently when exporting to LaTeX.

I disagree. Packages should not be loaded /silently/.

> I do not know how to handle this. My *hunch* is that the Latex Export
> function generating the preamble should check for language

It does already, in `org-latex-guess-babel-language'.

> and if not default, add the relevant package(s) to the preamble.

Don't. Anything that is in the header should be declared.

We could try and see if Babel causes trouble by adding it to default
packages in "next" branch. I'd rather do that than inserting it
magically.