[O] Bug: Capture problems with newlines [9.1.14 (9.1.14-9-g131531-elpa @

From: Calvin Beck
Subject: [O] Bug: Capture problems with newlines [9.1.14 (9.1.14-9-g131531-elpa @ /home/calvin/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20181105/)]
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2018 16:07:31 -0500

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

I have this problem where I have a capture template like this:

> ("t" "Todo" entry (file+headline "~/org/todo.org" "Tasks")
>    "* TODO %?\n   SCHEDULED: %t\n   %a\n")

And then if I have another heading under Tasks...

> * Tasks
> * HEADING2

Then when capturing a todo entry, if I delete the last line I get something
like...

> * Tasks
> ** TODO
>    SCHEDULED: <2018-11-05 Mon>
>    link* HEADING2

And similarly, if I edit the last line in the capture template I get...

> * Tasks
> ** TODO
>    SCHEDULED: <2018-11-05 Mon>
>    link
> the stuff that I added at the end of my capture template* HEADING2

This is counter intuitive, as you expect the capture to be isolated from
the other headings. Additionally, it's not obvious that you are messing
up other headings when you are using org-capture, so you can end up
losing tasks and headings, which seems like a very bad behaviour!

Furthermore, I feel like this conflicts with some editing habits. If I
want to edit the last part of a buffer I hit `M->` and start typing. I
think this is a pretty common idiom, but this conflicts badly with
org-capture.

Thanks! I hope there is some kind of fix possible.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2018-09-29
Package: Org mode version 9.1.14 (9.1.14-9-g131531-elpa @
/home/calvin/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20181105/)