Re: [O] Bug: Capture template insertion fails with #+FOO [9.1.14 (9.1.14

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Capture template insertion fails with #+FOO [9.1.14 (9.1.14-1-g4931fc-elpa @ /home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.1.14/)]
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 15:03:49 +0100

Hello,

Philip Hudson <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 at 08:34, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I cannot see your template, since you did not send it yet. I assume it
>> uses an `entry' type.
>
> No assumption involved. I stated so plainly.

Indeed.

>> Barring `plain', all capture types enforce
>> a certain structure for contents. The `entry' type expects a node, which
>> is roughly a headline plus contents, as noted in the manual:
>>
>>      ‘entry’
>>           An Org mode node, with a headline.  Will be filed as the child
>>           of the target entry or as a top-level entry.  The target file
>>           should be an Org file.
>
> Agreed, understood, and 100% the case in both my case (I'm afraid
> you'll just have to take my word for it) and in the trivial but
> effectively illustrative minimal failing case I gave you.

No, it is not the case. AFAIU, in the minimal failing case, you capture

    #+FOO: bar
    * Baz

This is _not_ a node. A node starts with a headline and everything is
contained within that headline. So it doesn't qualify as a valid `entry'
capture type.

> The doco seems fine to me. I relied on it for the definition of my
> template, which has worked as expected for years.

It might be that you misinterpreted the definition of a node. Hence my
suggestion to improve the documentation.

In any case, you can simply move the keywords below the headline, and be
done with it.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou