Re: [O] Bug: Capture template insertion fails with #+FOO [9.1.14 (9.1.14

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Capture template insertion fails with #+FOO [9.1.14 (9.1.14-1-g4931fc-elpa @ /home/phil/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.1.14/)]
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2018 09:34:36 +0100

Hello,

Philip Hudson <address@hidden> writes:

> Why? This is a regression.

You have something in your configuration that no longer works. Generally
speaking, that could be a plain regression, indeed. But you may also
have been relying on unspecified behavior: this might be a documentation
bug.

I cannot see your template, since you did not send it yet. I assume it
uses an `entry' type. Barring `plain', all capture types enforce
a certain structure for contents. The `entry' type expects a node, which
is roughly a headline plus contents, as noted in the manual:

     ‘entry’
          An Org mode node, with a headline.  Will be filed as the child
          of the target entry or as a top-level entry.  The target file
          should be an Org file.

You seem to capture something that doesn't correspond to this
definition, hence the error. Note that keywords are global, so you could
equivalently write:

    * Baz
    #+FOO: bar

Now, with your template, I could reproduce the problem and try to know
when and how the change happened, and guess the intent of `entry' type
before this change.

Maybe the documentation could be clearer, too. Suggestions welcome.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou