Re: [O] letterhead and signature in odt export

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [O] letterhead and signature in odt export
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2018 08:11:09 +1100

Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 5:41 PM Tim Cross <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> I've never delved into the XML nightmare that is ODT and stick with
>> latex/PDF export.
>>
>> Here is how I handled needing to have a logo and banner at the top of my
>> documents. Essentially, it involves using the Latex 'minipage'
>> environment to setup the layout and the xcolor package to handle
>> colours. Getting it working is somewhat trial and error, but once you
>> have it, it is pretty much set and forget.
>>
>> The below is an early version. I later refined it and put it into my
>> org-latex-classes variable, but removed it when I left the University
>> for a new employer. It should be fairly straight-forward to adapt to a
>> letter head. The only challenge will be if your Uni Marketing/PR are
>> very rigid re: format. In particular, fonts can be a challenge if they
>> have selected something unusual.
>>

> whew, OK, this is interesting. I guess you have written your own class
> somewhere, is that right? And even though your header is defined in
> latex_header it still somehow is included inside of \begin{document}?

Essentially, yes. I defined a new org-latex-class where all the
LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA lines below were put into the [EXTRA] section of the
org-latex-class definition. I then only needed to add the LATEX_CLASS
header line in my document and all would work. Note that there is an
order to how the elements in org-latex-class are processed and you do
have to get that correct - for example,  the LATEX_HEADER line needs to
go into the [PACKAGES] section and the rest in the [EXTRA] section to
ensure things are put in the right order.

It will likely take some trial and error to get things correct and it
can be a little fragile i.e. if you had a long title/heading/author etc,
things may not wrap/align correctly. I'm sure someone with even more
Latex experience could do a better definition, but I found it worked
really well for me.

My suggestion would be to use a org template/skeleton file initially so
that it is easier to tweak and then once you have it nailed down, look
at defining a new org-latex-class entry.

I do recall it took me a few goes to really understand the
org-latex-class definition - but that could just be me being a bit slow!

--
Tim Cross