Re: [O] Help with sharing emacs-org presentation

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Help with sharing emacs-org presentation
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 07:21:42 +0000

On Tuesday, 30 Oct 2018 at 20:43, Julius Dittmar wrote:
> Am 30.10.18 um 20:01 schrieb Martin Schöön:
>> My own mantra for preparing slide-packs is to minimize text. I want
>> the audience to listen to me rather than reading text on my slides.
>> My 2 cents...
>
> please don't overdo that.
>
> People have quite different ways of taking in information. Some memorize
> best if they hear something. Others memorize best if they have visual
> input. Others memorize best if they somehow take that information into
> their hands (for example by writing).
>
> If all you give is auditory input, you will leave a lot of interested
> persons in your auditory in the cold.

There is always a balance to be achieved, in my experience.  The trick
is to have slides that support you but do not compete.  If there is too
much text, the audience will be tempted to read and will not be paying
attention to what you say.  I tend towards Martin's view with little or
no text on many slides but slides with text will be limited to 3-4
bullet points and each bullet point having 5-6 words maximum.  But, of
course, this all depends on your intended audience.

In any case, in the spirit of this thread, please find attached a
presentation (both PDF and original org file) I gave earlier this year
to an academic audience consisting mostly of mathematicians and
numerical analysts.  The topic was literate programming but it was
really about org and Emacs.  Lot of interest from the audience and I
hope I converted some to this eco-system.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.13-783-g97fac4