Re: [O] org-store/insert-link truncating the full subject of mails

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] org-store/insert-link truncating the full subject of mails
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 11:42:23 -0400

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> On Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 21:54, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> In any case, if other users feel strongly about changing the default
>> value, I don't mind. I hope you understand that one data point is not
>> enough, tho.
>
> Just to add a data point: I've been annoyed by the default behaviour for
> years.  However, not enough to go about finding out if it was possible
> to change this behaviour!  Knowing, *now*, that there is a variable
> which controls the format solves my annoyance.

I don't really care one way or the other: most of the time, I just
want to save the email for some information that it contains which may
or may not be related to the subject line. So I have a capture
template that saves the link, but I add my description of *why* I'm
saving the email (and add tags too), so I have a chance of finding the
information again. I don't worry about the link description.

BTW, if one wants to fit the whole thing on an 80-char line, one might
need to make it much shorter than 78 chars, in order to fit dates,
link description etc., that a capture would add (assuming that you use
a capture). In fact, with indentation the current default makes the
line longer than 80 chars in my setup. Here's what an example looks
like:

,----
| ** Example
|   [2018-10-30 Tue 11:31] [[gnus:address@hidden from Eric S. Fraga: Re:
org-store/insert-link trun]]
`----

and the RH end of that line (after the link is prettified) is on
column 81 (granted, it depends on the length of the name).

Chances are that if the default is changed to unlimited, I would set
it back to 30, just to keep my notes file neater, or maybe use
truncate-long-lines to truncate at the boundary.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler