From: Kaushal Modi
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 11:14:48 -0400

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 2:04 AM Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

> No objection from me. Thank you!

Actually, before making this change, I started reading up on the HTML5
spec on the b, strong, i, em tags, and now I am confused as ever.

Facts:

- b and i are not deprecated
- b and strong are both valid but their use depends on the writer's
context (but Org mode has just one mark for either "*")
- i and em are both valid but their use depends on the writer's
context (but Org mode has just one mark for either "/").

>From "em" docs[em], in the NOTE section there:

> The em element isn’t a generic "italics" element. Sometimes, text is intended
> to stand out from the rest of the paragraph, as if it was in a different mood
> or voice. For this, the i element is more appropriate.

See the b tag docs[b] and i tag docs[i], and this W3C FAQ on using b
and i tags[faq] for more.

*Summary* (/see what I did there?/):

I guess there's no need to change what "*" and "/" do right now in
ox-html, as there doesn't seem "one right way" to do things here.

And folks strongly wanting to use <strong> and <em> for bold and
italic can customize org-html-text-markup-alist.

HTML experts, please chime in.

[em]: https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/textlevel-semantics.html#the-em-element
[b]: https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/textlevel-semantics.html#the-b-element
[i]: https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/textlevel-semantics.html#the-i-element