Re: [O] Display-level automatic subtree numbering

From: Garreau\, Alexandre
Subject: Re: [O] Display-level automatic subtree numbering
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 10:54:52 +0200

Le 24/10/2018 à 09h38, Nicolas Goaziou a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> "Garreau, Alexandre" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> But that doesn’t answer the question: why “doesn’t it exist”? shouldn’t
>> these functions be mainlined, if legally permitted?
>
> What kind of numbering are we talking about? A semi-permanent (i.e.,
> togglable) naive numbering (e.g., not taking into account UNNUMBERED
> property) for every headline?

Yes.  Didn’t know about UNNUMBERED, thanks, it is of interest for this issue.

> Could you explain what are the use cases for that?

As said in the previously mentioned stackoverflow question: helps
seeing where you are and how much sections are there.  To me it is
especially useful to avoid writing manually the number of the section to
know I’m currently in “exercice 8” or something alike.

Btw, some desirable feature as well would be automatic naming (as I
already do sometimes in LaTeX), such as appending whole “Exercice 8” or
“Section 8” for a desired specific level, instead of just a number.