Re: [O] access a let* value whe ndefining a function?

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] access a let* value whe ndefining a function?
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 16:34:45 -0400

Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 2:32 PM John Kitchin <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> I think that what you really want to do here is modify org-mime-compose so
>> that you can use the send-actions argument to message-mail. In
>> scimax-email.el I use that to be able to turn an org-heading into an email,
>> send it, and then jump back to the heading to insert some information about
>> the email into the heading properties after it is sent. A lot of the
>> information gets passed via global variables. Maybe there is a better way
>> to do that, I wrote that code a long time ago.
>>

> I'm trying to use mu4e~compose-mail instead of message-compose, I guess
> mostly because I want to be able to use the mu4e email address completion
> features in the `To:` header.  And it wouldalso be nice to save the email
> to the appropriate mu folder.   But I didn't seem to be able to make mu4e
> bounce back to my buffer no matter what I do, and though mu4e~compose-mail
> accepts a return-action argument it doesn't actually use it :-(.

This is kind of tricky. Here is an approach that seems to work:

(defun my-compose ()
 (interactive)
 (mu4e~compose-mail)
 (advice-add 'mu4e~switch-back-to-mu4e-buffer :after
             `(lambda ()
                (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer ,(buffer-name) ))
                (advice-remove 'mu4e~switch-back-to-mu4e-buffer
"om-temp-advice"))
             '((name . "om-temp-advice"))))

You just call M-x my-compose to get this behavior. I guess you could
advise mu4e~compose too to add the advice.

It seems necessary to use a temporary advice here. I wasn't aware of the
name way of removing advice, that is pretty nice here, since we use a
changing anonymous function.

>> Otherwise, you need to figure out how to use something like a macro that
>> captures the current-buffer and creates a lambda function with that
>> information in it, and attaches it to the message-buffer hook somehow. For
>> example this will display a message-box for me after the message is sent.
>>
>> (let ((f `(lambda ()
>>     (message-box "Came from %s" ,(current-buffer)))))
>>   (message-mail)
>>   (add-hook 'kill-buffer-hook f nil t))
>>
>> Some important notes is this hook is added in local mode, so it only
>> affects that email buffer.
>>

> Can you explain to me what yo umean by "added in local mode" -- how is that
> achieved?

This is what the final t argument in the add-hood function does. I think
it makes the hook local to the buffer it runs in, as opposed to in every buffer.

> Meanwhile, htis is what I've done and it seems to work:
>
> (eval (car (read-from-string
>             (concat
>              "(advice-add 'mu4e~switch-back-to-mu4e-buffer  :after
>                             (lambda ()
>                               (switch-to-buffer
>                                (get-buffer \""
>              (buffer-name)
>              "\" ))
>                               (advice-remove
> 'mu4e~switch-back-to-mu4e-buffer \"om-temp-advice\"))
>                             '((name . \"om-temp-advice\")))"))))

This is practically the same as my `, solution above, you just use
strings to protect some parts of code from evaluation, regular function
calls in places, and then you concat it all together and read it. The `,
syntax is optional, but without it you have to use list and quotes to
build up the code in a similar way:

(let ((f (list
          'lambda ()
          (list 'message-box "Came from %s" (current-buffer)))))
  (message-mail)
  (add-hook 'kill-buffer-hook f nil t))

here the ' means treat something like a symbol, and don't evaluate it.
We build up the lambda expression using runtime information, e.g. what
is the current-buffer when the code is run.

> seems a little baroque. Maybe what you have there is way better.  I don't
> really undertand backquotes and leading ocmmas even now.

It takes some practice. Suppose you have some variables defined, e.g.
a=3, then here are two ways to make a list where you put the value of a
into the first place, and a symbol b in the second place.

(list a 'b)  => '(3 'b)

This lets you build up expressions, including functions that are defined
at runtime. Lots of macros use this syntax to build up expressions that
are later evaluated.