[O] electric-pair, autopair, smartparens, etc in org-mode

From: Matt Price
Subject: [O] electric-pair, autopair, smartparens, etc in org-mode
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 20:36:07 -0400

Hi eveyrone,

I'm just wondering what tools other people use to manage paired parentheses and other markers in org.  I'm revisiting my long-ago decision to turn all pairing tools off in org, but every tool I try is pretty frustrating out of the box:

- smartparens steals a large number of really important structure-editing commands from org-mode.  I find the default behaviour unusable.
- electric-pair and autopair complete [[ immediately, and don't seem to allow me to skip past the closing brackets, so if I try to type [[https://link.to.somewhere][link text]] I end up with [[link.to.somewhere]][link-text] .

I'm willing to learn how to use these modes properly but I'm not quite sure how best to proceed, so if someone else has a solution that works I would be very grateful to hear it. thank you!