Re: [O] Bug: Column width ignored ? [9.1.14 (release_9.1.14-987-g823d90

From: Frederic Gilbert
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Column width ignored ? [9.1.14 (release_9.1.14-987-g823d90 @ /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/)]
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 09:52:29 +0200

On 15/10/18 21:20, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
Hello,

Frederic Gilbert <address@hidden> writes:

Following an upgrade from 8.2.10 to 9.1.14 from GIT repository,
it looks like tables column width specifications (e.g. <10> on a row)
don't work anymore.

Could you explain what doesn't work?

Regards,

Sorry for not being specific enough.

I have several tables looking more or less like this:

  | Title                                   |    + |   - |
  |-----------------------------------------+------+-----|
  | Money in                                |  400 |     |
  | Money out 1 bla bla bla bla bla bla bla |      | 200 |
  | Money out 2                             |      |  50 |
  |-----------------------------------------+------+-----|
  | *Total*                                 |      | 150 |
  #+TBLFM: @>$3=vsum(@address@hidden)-vsum(@address@hidden)

To limit the width of the first column (which can be much longer than the example, and push the 2 other columns beyond the frame's width), I am used to use the width specification, as in:

  | Title                                   |    + |   - |
  |-----------------------------------------+------+-----|
  | <20>                                    |      |     |
  | Money in                                | 4000 |     |
  | Money out 1 bla bla bla bla bla bla bla |      | 200 |
  | Money out 2                             |      |  50 |
  |-----------------------------------------+------+-----|
  | *Total*                                 |      | 150 |
  #+TBLFM: @>$3=vsum(@address@hidden)-vsum(@address@hidden)

I ask for a 20 characters width in this example, but the problem I encounter is not related to the specified number of characters.

In Org 8.2.10, this worked, and, in the example above, the long line would be truncated to 20 characters with the "=>" sign indicating that there is some text beyond the column right border.

In 8.2.10, drawers did not fold, and there was a problem with babel interpreting sh source blocks.
So I upgraded from the git repository, and I am now in 9.1.14.
This corrected the drawers and sh problems, but I realized that now, specifying column width in tables does not work anymore. This means that: - if I insert <20> and do C-c C-c, the columns width remain computed from the longest cell, and the text displayed in full length - if I open an org file where the table was previously formatted in truncated form with the "=>" sign, it is displayed with columns expanded to longest cell length. I tried to changed the position of the line where I put the <20> etc., to no avail.

I am using emacs 25.2.2 (current package from Ubuntu 18.04), with Viper 3.14.12.

Regards,
Frederic.