Re: [O] An Org-based productivity tool

From: Bingo
Subject: Re: [O] An Org-based productivity tool
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 19:33:15 +0530

Le 10 octobre 2018 21:45:53 GMT+05:30, Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> a
écrit :

>- a warning when my efficiency is lower than a set value, and info
>about
>  how much work I need to do to bump it up to that value.

Nice, but it has an anti-feature.  For procrastinators, warnings frequently
have negative effects. It can be understood in multiple ways :

1. "What the hell" effect : As Dr Art Marckman tells in the book "Smart Change"
, there is a "what the hell" effect where the victim goofs off even more to the
extent of giving up a goal if he realizes that he is falling behind schedule,
or has goofed off more than was advisable. The solution is to forgive oneself,
and not beat oneself up. This warning looks like beating oneself up.

2. Showing how much work needs to be done to catch up goes against some self
improvement philosophies. E.g. dividing work into subtasks helps in not getting
overwhelmed by the amount of work.  Or the recommendation to plan breaks in
addition to planning to slog, otherwise the plan to slog becomes overwhelming
and procrastinators give up.

Of course, if it works for you, go for it.