[O] org-map-entries calls org-agenda-prepare-buffers unnecessarily?

From: Adam Porter
Subject: [O] org-map-entries calls org-agenda-prepare-buffers unnecessarily?
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 23:07:59 -0500

Hi,

I've noticed that org-map-entries calls org-agenda-prepare-buffers
whenever its SCOPE argument is nil.  According to the docstring, a nil
SCOPE means, "The current buffer, respecting the restriction if any," so
it doesn't seem necessary to call org-agenda-prepare-buffers.

I noticed this because I have a function in my org-mode-hook that runs
org-map-entries (applying a read-only property to entries with a
read_only tag), and whenever I find-file on a non-existent Org file, I'm
prompted, "Non-existent agenda file %s.  [R]emove from list or
[A]bort?", which is caused by org-map-entries being called with a nil
SCOPE, which calls org-agenda-prepare-buffers, which calls
org-check-agenda-file on the not-yet-existent file.  So if this behavior
is indeed unnecessary, it would be nice to fix it.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

Thanks.