Re: [O] Use Emacs' default value of "bidi-paragraph-direction" in orgmod

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [O] Use Emacs' default value of "bidi-paragraph-direction" in orgmode
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 09:12:31 +0300

> From: Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 16:05:37 +0200
>
> ST <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Please leave the Emacs' default value of "bidi-paragraph-direction"
> > which is "nil" in orgmode as well. Right now orgmode seems to force
> > "left-to-right", thus blocking "right-to-left". With "nil" it is
> > dynamic, which means both directions work well out-of-the box.
> >
> > Right now I'm forced to add this to my config:
> >
> > (add-hook 'org-mode-hook
> >           (lambda ()
> >             (setq bidi-paragraph-direction nil)))
> >
> > It took me a lot of time to figure out, which makes the first Org steps
> > for RTL-newbies quite frustrating...
>
> It may not be as obvious as you think. See
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-09/msg00349.html>
> for details.

For the record: The change to the current default was my suggestion,
and I still stand by that advice.  I think the current default is
correct out of the box for more people than the previous nil value.
And I see no catastrophe in a mode hook that overrides the default for
those who don't like this default.  The defaults cannot possibly DTRT
for everyone, only for the majority.

Thanks.