[O] Mark-and-select an item in org-mode

From: Steve Quezadas
Subject: [O] Mark-and-select an item in org-mode
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 11:58:02 -0700

I'm not sure if there's something incredibly simple I'm missing here,
but is there a way to just select an org-mode item when a cursor is on
top of an org-mode item?

I checked google/org-mode documentation and I can't find anything. So
I went through the source code and noticed that procedure
"org-move-item-up" has a function, "point-at-bol", that return the
position of the line item that the cursor is standing on top of. I
would imagine it would be trivial to do a "select mark" command for
that item after that.

Two questions:
1) Is there already an org-mode function that select or delete an org-mode line item? 2) If not, is it possible to do a "set-mark-command" on an org-mode line item (possibly derived from the "point-at-bol" command)?

I am somewhat new to emacs-lisp, and I plan to "play around with it"
to get it to do what I want it to do, but I thought I'd through it on
the maillist to see if I am barking up the right tree. If it's not a
feature in org-mode, I'm sure I can write my own function for it and,
in the spirit of emacs, throw a patch to the project if wanted.

- Steve