Re: [O] Missing `Specific Header Arguments' in Manual

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Missing `Specific Header Arguments' in Manual
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 10:29:34 +0200

Hi Nicolas,

> Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> In the Org 9.1 version manual, it was possible to search ":eval" and find
>> what I was looking for. In 9.2 manual, very few of the header arguments are
>> documented with the colon prefix.
>
> I removed all colon prefixes, so it is a bug if any header argument is
> prefixed with a colon.

Why did you remove colon prefixes?

The colon is part of the header argument, so I'd thought it is natural
to include it in searches.

>> So searching is not consistent any more.
>
> Of course, it is. Now, you can search by topic. E.g., `eval' header
> argument belongs to "Limit Code block evaluation", which is a sub-topic
> of "Evaluation Code Blocks". This was clearly not possible before,
> because unrelated arguments were located in the same section.
>
> You can also search the index alphabetically.

There is a section called "Header arguments" in the new org-manual.org.

The natural expectation is for this section to list all header arguments.

Looking for ":eval" or "eval" in here will bring nothing, which is not
very natural.  As Kaushal said, the previous listing, though perhaps
inconsistent, helped discoverability of arguments a lot.  (In general,
it is good to have all entities of a kind listed somewhere.)

What can we do to improve the manual here?

--
 Bastien