Re: [O] [POLL] Should Org tempo be enabled by default? (expand templates

From: Adrian Bradd
Subject: Re: [O] [POLL] Should Org tempo be enabled by default? (expand templates thru e.g. "<s[TAB]")
Date: Sat, 05 May 2018 19:26:25 -0400

I remember that Magit experimented displaying a message the first time you used a new release; you would silence it only by setting a variable. I don't think this is the case anymore, so it may have failed, though.

I believe this was for the Magit Kickstarter fundraiser. A message was displayed to notify users and direct them to the page. This message stayed in place until the Kickstarter was completed, but could be disabled prematurely by altering a variable. I can't speak to its success or failure overall, but there were some complaints about the method [1].

We could also make the <https://orgmode.org/Changes.html> page more
prominent in the summary displayed along with the package.

This seems like a step in the right direction. Perhaps adding a section to the Introduction in the manual about the changes page or ORG-NEWS and their importance with major or .X releases might help.

My experience as a newcomer to org with the 8.x to 9.x transition was that most of the posts relating to org at the time (on reddit at least) mentioned breaking changes and the ORG-NEWS file.

With regard to the poll, I don't have a strong opinion as I am now using yasnippet with org. When I was using org-tempo I didn't see any issue with having to require it in my init. So I suppose my vote would be that disabling by default is fine. `org-insert-structure-template' bound to a key seems like a reasonable alternative especially since it operates on regions.

Cheers,

[1] https://github.com/magit/magit/issues/3174

--
Adrian