Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"
Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 15:04:12 -0700

hi bastien,

On 4/26/18, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
> yes, I read the thread.  I understand your position and that of Allen,
> and there is absolutely no rush about this change.
>
> But the fact that the Global Mark Ring does not fit several uses is
> not a reason for not moving forward - I like the idea of a "link ring"
> and I think we can implement it.

are you saying that we keep the same functionality but limit it to links?

> Yes: I'm wondering what precise use-case of `org-mark-push-ring' is
> not covered by either the emacs local mark ring or global one?

i thought we discussed that in detail.

> Also, xref calls it a "stack", which I find more intuitive.

imo stack or tree [have you ever tried undo-tree's graphical tree?]
make more sense than ring.

> If xref implements what users expect from a global ring, then
> let's fix the global ring that way.  And make "link rings" based
> on a more generic global ring.

do you mean fix emacs global mark ring?  sounds good, but [politics,
new version does not come out until years later].

probably org should keep its own until emacs has had it fixed for a
few major versions, so fewer people need to install emacs just to get
the org version to work properly.  debian oldstable currently uses
emacs 24.4.1.

i'd want the local mark ring to allow double marking the same location.

if there are people who don't want to fix emacs, then there could be a
new, generic, improved global and local mark stack or tree as a
package.