Re: [O] Inheriting some local variables from source code block editing b

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: [O] Inheriting some local variables from source code block editing buffers
Date: Wed, 02 May 2018 01:12:30 +0300

On 2018-05-01 21:53 +01, Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> wrote:
> That is excellent news :) If you run into anything you canʼt figure out
> then let us know.

I will probably be able to start working on this next weekend (tho there
is some stuff that can inevitably slow me down this week).  In the mean
time other people can comment both on this and on where to put the
resulting feature.

> But because of the nature of the variable (a lisp list), it can only be
> set once.  So you can have only one of:
> [...]
> But they canʼt be combined.  AFAIR, :var is the only header argument
> that can be meaningfully specified more than once.

Okay, I'll read up on these, both code and manuals.  So we've agreed
that what we want is a new header argument, ‘:edit-vars’, whose value is
a form similar to a varlist, where

- a form (var val) means bind var to val in the editing buffer,

- a symbol var means bind var in the editing buffer to the buffer-local
  value of it in the relevant x.org buffer, as in (setq
  (make-local-variable var) (with-current-buffer "x.org" var))

Do you confirm?  Also, what do you think about :edit-bindings or
:edit-locals instead of :edit-vars? :var is a completely different
thing, and :edit-vars may cause confusion, given the similarity of the
name.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp       <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
                         024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC