Re: [O] [RFC] Moving "manual.org" into core

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Moving "manual.org" into core
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 08:08:42 -1000

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

I don't have strong opinions on this issue.

I read it otherwise.

So do I.

Some history. When I worked on this project several years ago, I concluded that Bastien was hostile to it, but there was nothing in his communication that was particularly negative. When I suggested on the list recently that Bastien did not like the project, I was scolded a bit by others who found mildly supportive statements from him in the archives. Yesterday, in Bastien's response to Glenn Morris, was the first time I read that he thought the project was a "bad idea". I wish I'd known that at the time!

I'm fine with Bastien holding an opinion different from mine. My point is that he did not speak his mind when I worked on the project, so it is valid today to disagree with his statement about the strength of his opinions.

Do you agree with the one I suggested?

I disagree. My motivation is not to attract more contributors. I don't think this was Thomas and Jonathan's motivation when they started the
project either, but I may be wrong.

I can only speak for myself here. At the time, I thought the Org manual was a stylistic mess and I thought I could use my experience as a writer and editor to improve the situation. I had lots of experience writing in LaTeX, but found texinfo clunky and obtrusive. When I discovered Jonathan's texinfo exporter and found that it worked nicely, I thought I had an opportunity to contribute two ways to Org: 1) I could create a document that would challenge the texinfo exporter and lead to its development and improvement, and 2) I could edit the manual using the same lightweight markup language that I was now using in my academic work, having switched from LaTeX to Org mode for its reproducible research capabilities.

Of course, I figured the Org mode developers who write the manual would also appreciate the switch, and was pleased that Carsten pitched in with the memorable comment about Org eating its own dog food.

Many thanks to Nicolas for his efforts on this project.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye