Re: [O] [RFC] Moving "manual.org" into core

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Moving "manual.org" into core
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 16:22:45 +0000

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

>> For the record, and as a first feedback, I totally disagree with the
>> FUD (".org flexibility will bring us new problems", seriously)
>> spread about the Org manual.
>
> Testing the .texi exporter (and maybe .html and .pdf) against this big
> file will be interesting.
>
> Testing the process of running "make pdf" while emacs will in charge
> of producing a PDF file (.org => .texi => .pdf) will be interesting,
> and potentially more error-prone than the current .texi=>.pdf process.
>
> But again, that's fine.

I think it will slow the build. Currently, the texi gets compiled in
parallel with the C, while having Emacs build it will shunt it till the
very end (after byte-compilation) where there is nothing to parallelize
(except for the tests).

Of course, if it's only org.org (or whatever) and everything else is
texi, then most of the manual would build earlier. If everything were
org, I think it would add about a minute to a 5 or 6 minute
build. Probably, by the time all of the manuals are in org-mode,
machines will be significantly faster, there will be emacs-free org mode
converter, or we will have hit the heat death of the universe. Perhaps
it's not a problem.

Phil