Re: [O] [RFC] Moving "manual.org" into core

From: Bastien Guerry
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Moving "manual.org" into core
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2018 11:18:34 +0100

Hi Nicolas,

> I'm bumping the thread. What is still needed for that to move
> forward?

Nothing, please move ahead.

I suggest to rename the file org.org, which will produce org.texi.

Or org-manual.org, which seems more readable.

It would be great to have org-guide.org too, but I guess that's a
lot of work.

> Again, the first step could be to move manual.org to core and have
> it generate a new org.texi, overwriting the previous one.

Yes, let's do that manually for now.

> I would also be nice to think about what can be done to automatically
> generate org.texi upon releases, and remove it from the repository. But
> that can come later.

Indeed.

Sorry it took me long to give the green light on this, I was trying
to anticipate all possible outcomes.

One of my worries was that moving toward editing a manual in .org
does not match GNU developers good practices and habits, which are
to edit .texi files.  But as long as the .texi file exists I guess
we can shake the habits by allowing to edit .org files, which are
more convenient to read and write.

Hopefully this step forward will help create a useful precedent
amont GNU developers.

Thanks to you and to anyone who has been involved in making this
possible!

--
 Bastien