Re: [O] src-blocks with captions do not respect attr_latex :placement op

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] src-blocks with captions do not respect attr_latex :placement options
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 16:37:35 -0800

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

> Hello,
>
> John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> A block like this:
>>
>> #+attr_latex: :placement [H]
>>
>> #+caption: A test block
>> #+BEGIN_SRC ipython
>>
>> 'hello'
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> exports to latex as:
>>
>> \begin{listing}[htbp]
>> \begin{minted}[frame=lines,fontsize=\scriptsize,linenos]{ipython}
>> 'hello'
>> \end{minted}
>> \caption{A test block}
>> \end{listing}
>>
>> The root of this is in  org-latex-src-block where (plist-get info
>> :latex-default-figure-position) is being used to specify the
>> placement.
>
> True. LaTeX back-end doesn't handle :placement attribute in source blocks.
>
>> It seems like a sort of easy fix, but requires a couple of changes in the
>> function.
>>
>> I think we could replace all instances of
>>
>> (plist-get info :latex-default-figure-position)
>>
>> with
>>
>> (or (plist-get attributes :placement)
>>    (format "[%s]"
>>    (plist-get info :latex-default-figure-position)))
>
> Why (format "[%s]" ...)?

That isn't changed from what is already in ox-latex, e.g. line 2367.

>> and also replace everything like:
>>
>> \\begin{figure*}[%s]
>>
>> with
>>
>> \\begin{figure*}%s
>>
>> I don't see a way around that unless :latex-default-figure-position is
>> changed from "htbp" to "[htbp]".
>
> I fail to see why this change is needed.

org-latex-default-figure-position is defined as "htbp"

where as :placement is usually defined as "[H]". One has brackets, and
one doesn't. This is reflected in ox-latex too.

For example in this code (line 3219. ox-latex.el)

(or (plist-get attr :placement)
              (format "[%s]" (plist-get info
              :latex-default-figure-position)))

it is implied that :latex-default-figure-position does not have
brackets, but that (plist-get attr :placement) does since it is later
used in line 3259 as:

(format "\\begin{%s}%s\n" float-env placement)

So, it seems like one either has to add [] to the default
org-latex-default-figure-position, or put them in the template, or
change how the :placement value is used. It doesn't seem like we can
have it both ways without testing if there are brackets or not. It also
doesn't seem right to modify org-latex-default-figure-position just to
get float listings to be "[H]" for src blocks.

>> Thoughts?
>
> Do you want to propose a patch? The manual would need to be updated
> accordingly.

Do you see another way to solve this?

--
Professor John Kitchin