[O] org alters output of bash code blocks when run with :session

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: [O] org alters output of bash code blocks when run with :session
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 17:10:01 -0500

Hi,

(originally posted to emacs.stackexchange[1] with no answers, )

I am running a short bash command from an org mode code block, using the
program `fold` to wrap it at 60 characters. If I run the code without a session
argument, the results display as expected. However, when I set the session
argument (which I have to do in the context of the long literate analysis I'm
doing), some of the output characters don't appear.

Steps to reproduce:

    emacs -Q

Open the following file and execute each code block in turn:

+------------------------
    #+BEGIN_SRC elisp setup
    (org-babel-do-load-languages
     'org-babel-load-languages
     '((shell . t)))
    #+END_SRC

    #+RESULTS:

    #+BEGIN_SRC bash no session :results replace verbatim
     echo
'CCCC8,,CEFGDF,,,CC,CF:,,address@hidden:B3CDFGGGFGGCFDGGGFCF:,FF9>FEC,F<FEG*?FFFFFGGG*CFEEECGGGGC+>FDGGDGFDFFEEFGEGC5>5?C*CGGF+3:*<7*2>+*<9CGCD::address@hidden<C9<)7*9.5<@BA*7'
 | fold -w 60
    #+END_SRC

    #+RESULTS:
    : CCCC8,,CEFGDF,,,CC,CF:,,C8CFGFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
    : address@hidden:B3CDFGGGFGGCFD
    : GGGFCF:,FF9>FEC,F<FEG*?FFFFFGGG*CFEEECGGGGC+>FDGGDGFDFFEEFGE
    : GC5>5?C*CGGF+3:*<7*2>+*<9CGCD::address@hidden<C9<)7*9.5<@BA*7

    #+BEGIN_SRC bash session :results replace verbatim :session my-session
     echo
'CCCC8,,CEFGDF,,,CC,CF:,,address@hidden:B3CDFGGGFGGCFDGGGFCF:,FF9>FEC,F<FEG*?FFFFFGGG*CFEEECGGGGC+>FDGGDGFDFFEEFGEGC5>5?C*CGGF+3:*<7*2>+*<9CGCD::address@hidden<C9<)7*9.5<@BA*7'
 | fold -w 60
    #+END_SRC

    #+RESULTS:
    : CCCC8,,CEFGDF,,,CC,CF:,,C8CFGFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
    : address@hidden:B3CDFGGGFGGCFD
    : FEC,F<FEG*?FFFFFGGG*CFEEECGGGGC+>FDGGDGFDFFEEFGE
    : 5?C*CGGF+3:*<7*2>+*<9CGCD::address@hidden<C9<)7*9.5<@BA*7
+------------------------

Notice the difference between the two bash results blocks. In the first, the
input string is folded at column 60, without any other changes. In the second,
a string of characters has been deleted:

- `GGGFCF:,FF9>` from the beginning of the third line
- `GC5>` from the beginning of the fourth line

The fact that the deleted strings both start at the beginning of a line and end
with a `>` suggests that the session thinks they should be redirected somehow,
and in the process is dropping them completely. However, when I look at the
session buffer, the output appears as expected, with no missing characters.

How do I force the babel session to leave the output alone, and print it
verbatim into the org file?

Thanks!

Tyler

GNU Emacs 26.0.90