Re: [O] Feature request: shrink according to alignment (was Re: Org tabl

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Feature request: shrink according to alignment (was Re: Org table columns without width cookies get shrunk on TAB)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 12:45:15 +0100

Hello,

Julius Dittmar <address@hidden> writes:

> What I think this was about: Assume, the following table is set up for
> right-aligned output (that's one of the things I don't know how to do,
> but that's fine with me):
>
> | a very long entry which enforces a long table cell |
> |                            a moderately long entry |
> |                                      a short entry |
>
> Assume further that this table is to be displayed showing only 19
> characters. As I understand the original post, the outcome at the moment
> would be something like :
>

> | a very long entr... |
> |                 ... |
> |                 ... |

For the record, it is more like

  | a very long entr…|
  |                 …|
  |                 …|

> What I would prefer is:
>
> | a very long entr... |
> | a moderately lon... |
> |       a short entry |

So the narrowing is done field wise and not column wise. If you are in
the last cell, you cannot possibly tell the column is narrowed unless
you check other levels.

> This does not really mean cutting on both ends, at least not more than
> org already does. Org already does add or subtract leading or trailing
> whitespace as needed.

There is a misunderstanding here. One of the motivation of the current
implementation of columns narrowing is to _not change the buffer_.  It
hides characters, but never removes them.

So, if you want to remove characters on the right, you need to hide them
somehow. So, I still think you would need to narrow on both sides.
I have the gut feeling this is not very practical.

I agree right-aligned -- and center-aligned -- fields are not perfect,
but I cannot think of a good design for these at the moment.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou