Re: [O] Smart archiving of subtrees with parent headlines

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: Re: [O] Smart archiving of subtrees with parent headlines
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 07:54:11 +0100

On 2018-02-09 at 16:42, Mark Edgington <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have looked at a few threads related to the archiving of subtrees,
> but haven't found anything that matches what I think would be a very
> sensible archiving behavior. [...]

Does the attached file here work for you? I use it and it seems to do what you
describe.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-08/msg00109.html

My full archive setup from my emacs.org follows. It is based on the above code
but tweaked in ways by past-me that present-me doesn't fully understand, but it
works for me.

(setq org-archive-location (concat org-directory "/archive/%s_archive::"))

(define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c C-x C-s") nil)
(setq org-archive-default-command 'kdm/org-archive-local-or-hierarchical) ;;
C-c C-x C-a

;; only do hierarchical archiving if default var used. If archiving into
;; local file, then just use default org-archive-subtree command
(defun kdm/org-archive-local-or-hierarchical ()
  "Archive locally if location set to local file; Otherwise use
org-archive-subtree-hierarchical"
  (interactive)
  (if (let ((arch-file (org-extract-archive-file))
            (this-file (buffer-file-name)))
           (equal arch-file this-file))
  (org-archive-subtree)
  (org-archive-subtree-hierarchical)))

(require 'org-archive)

(defun line-content-as-string ()
  "Returns the content of the current line as a string"
  (save-excursion
    (beginning-of-line)
    (buffer-substring-no-properties
     (line-beginning-position) (line-end-position))))

(defun org-child-list ()
  "This function returns all children of a heading as a list. "
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    ;; this only works with org-version > 8.0, since in previous
    ;; org-mode versions the function (org-outline-level) returns
    ;; gargabe when the point is not on a heading.
    (if (= (org-outline-level) 0)
        (outline-next-visible-heading 1)
      (org-goto-first-child))
    (let ((child-list (list (line-content-as-string))))
      (while (org-goto-sibling)
        (setq child-list (cons (line-content-as-string) child-list)))
      child-list)))

(defun fa/org-struct-subtree ()
  "This function returns the tree structure in which a subtree
belongs as a list."
  (interactive)
  (let ((archive-tree nil))
    (save-excursion
      (while (org-up-heading-safe)
        (let ((heading
               (buffer-substring-no-properties
                (line-beginning-position) (line-end-position))))
          (if (eq archive-tree nil)
              (setq archive-tree (list heading))
            (setq archive-tree (cons heading archive-tree))))))
    archive-tree))

(defun org-archive-subtree-hierarchical ()
  "This function archives a subtree hierarchical"
  (interactive)
  (let ((org-tree (fa/org-struct-subtree))
        (this-buffer (current-buffer))
        (file (abbreviate-file-name
                   (or (buffer-file-name (buffer-base-buffer))
                       (error "No file associated to buffer")))))
    (save-excursion
      (setq location (org-get-local-archive-location)
            afile (org-extract-archive-file location)
            heading (org-extract-archive-heading location)
            infile-p (equal file (abbreviate-file-name (or afile ""))))
      (unless afile
        (error "Invalid `org-archive-location'"))
      (if (> (length afile) 0)
          (setq newfile-p (not (file-exists-p afile))
                visiting (find-buffer-visiting afile)
                buffer (or visiting (find-file-noselect afile)))
        (setq buffer (current-buffer)))
      (unless buffer
        (error "Cannot access file \"%s\"" afile))
      (org-cut-subtree)
      (set-buffer buffer)
      (org-mode)
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (while (not (equal org-tree nil))
        (let ((child-list (org-child-list)))
          (if (member (car org-tree) child-list)
              (progn
                (search-forward (car org-tree) nil t)
                (setq org-tree (cdr org-tree)))
            (progn
              (newline)
              (org-insert-struct org-tree)
              (setq org-tree nil)))))
      (newline)
      (org-yank)
      ;; Save and kill the buffer, if it is not the same buffer.
      (when (not (eq this-buffer buffer))
        (save-buffer)
        (kill-buffer))
      (message "Subtree archived %s"
               (concat "in file: " (abbreviate-file-name afile))))))

(defun org-insert-struct (struct)
  "TODO"
  (interactive)
  (when struct