Re: [O] Smart archiving of subtrees with parent headlines

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [O] Smart archiving of subtrees with parent headlines
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 12:27:28 +0800

I like this idea.

[stardiviner]           <Hack this world!>      GPG key ID: 47C32433
IRC(freeenode): stardiviner                     Twitter:  @numbchild
Key fingerprint = 9BAA 92BC CDDD B9EF 3B36  CB99 B8C4 B8E5 47C3 2433
Blog: http://stardiviner.github.io/

On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 12:42 AM, Mark Edgington <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello all,

I have looked at a few threads related to the archiving of subtrees,
but haven't found anything that matches what I think would be a very
sensible archiving behavior.  I already posted this as a question on
the emacs stack-exchange site
(https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/38530/how-to-archive-an-org-mode-subtree-along-with-its-parent-headlines),
but realize that the mailing list is probably more likely to get some
feedback from people.  So here's what I'm trying to figure out how to
do:

Say I start with an org-file that looks like:

    #+ARCHIVE: ::* Archived

    * Foo
      * Tasks
        * Task1
      * Thoughts
        * Thought1
        * Thought2

    * Archived

Now I put the point (i.e. cursor) on Thought1 and run
org-super-archive (the magical command I'm hoping to find). The result
should be:

    #+ARCHIVE: ::* Archived

    * Foo
      * Tasks
        * Task1
      * Thoughts
        * Thought2

    * Archived
      * Foo
        * Thoughts
          * Thought1

Now I move the point to Thought2 and again run org-super-archive,
which should give me:

    #+ARCHIVE: ::* Archived

    * Foo
      * Tasks
        * Task1
      * Thoughts

    * Archived
      * Foo
        * Thoughts
          * Thought1
          * Thought2

So the basic operation I'm seeking is the ability to archive a subtree
to whatever target location is specified with #+ARCHIVE (or
org-archive-location) where (1) the full path of the archived subtree
is mirrored beneath that target location, and (2) the subtree will be
merged into an existing path under the target if an appropriate path
already exists (e.g. a path consisting of all of the subtree's parent
headlines, regardless of the content of the bodies of these
headlines).

As an added bonus, it would be nice if it were possible to choose
whether or not the "full path" of a subtree to be archived will
include the org-file name as the root of the path. This would be
useful in cases where you archive from multiple org-files to a single
archive.org file.

Any thoughts on this -- has it already been done, or would it be easy to do?