Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 13:47:52 -0700

On 1/29/18, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> So, could we simply remove this part of Org and use Emacs facilities,
> with their standard bindings (C-u C-<SPC> and C-x C-<SPC>) and behaviour
> instead?

org would have to push to both local and global it seems.  sounds good to me.

===

note also that for single buffers there is marker-visit.el.

also this from se could be modified to work for global mark ring --
every ring in emacs should have both next and prev.  i never
understood the point of rings in emacs except to save memory.

(defun se-unpop-to-mark-command ()
  "Unpop off mark ring. Does nothing if mark ring is empty."
  (interactive)
  (when mark-ring
    (setq mark-ring (cons (copy-marker (mark-marker)) mark-ring))
    (set-marker (mark-marker) (car (last mark-ring)) (current-buffer))
    (when (null (mark t)) (ding))
    (setq mark-ring (nbutlast mark-ring))
    (goto-char (marker-position (car (last mark-ring))))))