Re: [O] Make tag inheritance explicit

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: [O] Make tag inheritance explicit
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 15:15:13 +0000

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 9:45 AM Karl Voit <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2. Use `org-get-tags-at' with point on "Task 1" heading in your example.
> `org-get-tags' returns a list of tags *only* at the current heading.
> `org-get-tags-at' returns inherited tags too.

You mean for developing a custom-made function that provides the
feature I was asking for?

By "feature", you mean copying all the inherited tags to the heading at point?

My suggestion implied that you can skip that copying step altogether and directly use org-get-tags-at to gets all the inherited tags for the current heading. That way, you wouldn't need to add redundant information to your Org file.

Yes, this helps a lot to me.

Great! :)

First, I wanted to get a confirmation that this feature is not
already part of Org-mode because (as usual) this seemed obvious to
me when using export functionality ;-)

It's not clear what you mean by "feature is not already part of Org-mode". Org mode provides `org-get-tags-at', which any Org exporter can use. How that function is used is, I think, very subjective. The way I use it in ox-hugo is probably not used in other exporters.

--

Kaushal Modi