Re: [O] Equation references in HTML export

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Equation references in HTML export
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 22:27:11 +0100

Hello,

Thibault Marin <address@hidden> writes:

> To make sure I understand the desired HTML output, do you mean that
> instead of producing this HTML:
> ,----
> | \begin{align}
> | \label{eq:orgbfedefe}
> | 1 + 1 = 0
> | \end{align}
> `----
> and relying on MathJax to manage references, we should produce something
> like the following?
> ,----
> | \begin{align}
> | 1 + 1 = 0
> | \end{align}
> | <!-- insert the equation number -->
> `----
>
> Am I understanding correctly?

That's the idea, yes.

> The advantage of this approach is that it is consistent with how the
> other types of references (figures, source blocks, etc.) are managed and
> it should work with the verbatim mode.
>
> I have a few questions about the "caption" (i.e. the equation number):
>
> 1. Where should it be placed?  In a `<span>' tag like it is done for
>    figures?  Ideally, I would like to have the caption (i.e. the
>    equation number) on the right side of the equation, as it is done in
>    LaTeX, should this be done with CSS?  Should there be a user option
>    for the position of the caption?

I'm not sure. Have you checked how captions in other parts of
"ox-html.el"?

> 2. Should we disable MathJax's equation numbering and replace it with
>    ours?  I am afraid this may break the setup of users already relying
>    on MathJax to label and reference equations.

You may be right. In this case, we may use \eqref if MathJax is going to
be used (like your initial patch did), and do the above otherwise.

> 3. Should there be an option to customize the formatting of the equation
>    number, both on the right of the equation itself and in links
>    (e.g. wrap the number between parentheses, as `\eqref' dose)?

I don't think other captions allow this in "ox-html.el".

WDYT?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738