Re: [O] Org citations, CSL and citeproc-el

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Org citations, CSL and citeproc-el
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 22:57:45 +0100

Hell,

Richard Lawrence <address@hidden> writes:

> Simonyi András <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> a few days ago I've released the first public version of citeproc-el
>> (https://github.com/andras-simonyi/citeproc-el), a CSL 1.01 citation
>> processor library for Emacs.

Excellent! Thank you for this work.

>> The resulting link syntax is rather cumbersome so I'd like to ask
>> your opinion about introducing an alternative org-mode citation
>> syntax that handles all of these elements.  One option would be to
>> use something very similar to pandoc's citation syntax (which
>> I tried to follow as much as possible in the cite link descriptions
>> of citeproc-orgref).

[...]

> The upshot was that we came to agreement on quite a few points about
> what citation syntax should look like, and those points have been
> implemented in Org syntax in the wip-cite branch of the Org repo.
> (This branch is now long out of date and at the very least in need of
> a rebase onto current master, I suspect.)

The "wip-cite" branch is up-to-date with master (give or take last
commits). It implements a good basis for a citation syntax in Org (tests
included).

Also, there is "wip-cite-awe" branch from Aaron Ecay (Cc'ed) which
implements some support for exporting citations. "wip-cite-awe" is
up-to-date and base on top of "wip-cite".

> There are other aspects of the syntax we agreed on that are not
> implemented yet; as I recall, the idea was to get a minimal agreeable
> subset working, and then add to it based on real-world experience and
> feedback.

AFAIR, everything we agreed on is implemented in "wip-cite" branch.

That's a good thing to know that citations may move forward. Let us know
if you need help. Meanwhile, as Richard suggests, please have a look at
"wip-cite" branch.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou