Re: [O] [RFC] Official Org manual in Org! (Was: Dog food, anyone?)

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Official Org manual in Org! (Was: Dog food, anyone?)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 09:00:00 +0100

Hi all,

my 2 cents.

1. Now that we know that it is possible to construct a texi document
from org automatically, whould it be feasible to get back to the topic
of converting the Emacs manual(s) to org?  Would it make sense?

2. Re: the style guide: why not ditch em-dashes altogether?  Quoting
Robert Brighurst:

,----
| The em dash is the nineteenth-century standard, still prescribed by
| many editorial style books, but the em dash is too long for use with
| the best text faces. Like the oversized space between sentences, it
| belongs to the padded and corseted aesthetic of Victorian
| typography. Use spaced en dashes – rather than em dashes or hyphens –
| to set off phrases.
`----

In case you think this is not something of utmost importance: I quoted
Bringhurst after the article
http://www.denizcemonduygu.com/2009/09/where-to-use-en-and-em-dashes-lupton-vs-bringhurst/,
where this gem can be found:

,----
| The en dash between your birth and death dates on your headstone will
| be representing your whole life. All your joys and sorrows, adventures
| and disappointments, tucked in something slightly longer than a hyphen
| and shorter than an em dash. So go on ignoring them. The dashes will
| have the last word.
`----

Best,
Marcin