[O] Confusing org-cycle invocation when cursor is in invisible text

From: Ruy Exel
Subject: [O] Confusing org-cycle invocation when cursor is in invisible text
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 18:51:18 -0200

I feel this issue might have already been raised here but after
researching it I could not find anything relevant.  So please ignore
this message and excuse me if I am returning to something already
discussed in this group.

Consider the following simple tree structure

-----

* Trees
** Pine
It is a conifer
** Oak
Place cursor here ->
It belongs to the genus Quercus

-----

If you place the cursor where indicated (i.e. after the sentence
"Place cursor here ->" above) and press <Shift-TAB> (org-shifttab),
your buffer will show

* Trees...

with the cursor placed on the first of the three dots.  If you then go
to the kitchen to prepare a coffee and come back, you will probably
not going to remember where the cursor was before the visibility went
to the OVERVIEW state.  Suppose you then decide to expand your tree by
pressing <TAB> (org-cycle) without having changed cursor position.  In
this case your buffer will turn to

* Trees...
** Oak
Place cursor here ->
It belongs to the genus Quercus

and you might then be led to thinking that your header "Trees" has
only one sub-header, namely "Oak".  Yes I know that the three dots
after "Trees" is meant to indicate that there is still some hidden
text but, given that your intention was to expand "Trees" and that you
pressed the correct key for this purpose you might (incorrectly) feel
assured that you achieved the appropriate goal and hence not pay due
attention to the three dots.

The point I want to raise is that I believe users should not be
required to remember the position of the cursor when it falls inside
hiddent text.  Even more so, the state of the system at any given time
should not depend on said position.

Thus, after the first press of <Shift-TAB>, above, the cursor should
go by default to the beginning (maybe the end) of the hidden text.

By the way, this behavior is already adopted when text becomes hidden
due to a call to org-table-toggle-column-width.

Regards,
Ruy