Re: [O] Bug: subtree archiving when Archive is not final headline yields

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: subtree archiving when Archive is not final headline yields bad visibility [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ /usr/share/emacs/25.2+gg1+12/lisp/org/)]
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 15:10:19 +0100

Hello,

Allen Li <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Allen Li <address@hidden> wrote:
>> (Can reproduce with Org 9.1.3, submitting with emacs -Q)
>>
>> Using a file tmp.org:
>>
>>   * Foo
>>   ** Archive     :ARCHIVE:
>>   *** Test
>>       :PROPERTIES:
>>       :ARCHIVE_TIME: 2017-12-06 Wed 12:13
>>       :END:
>>   ** Bar
>>
>> This appears like so with default visibility:
>>
>>   * Foo
>>   ** Archive     :ARCHIVE:...
>>   ** Bar
>>
>> Archiving Bar with C-c C-x A yields:
>>
>>   * Foo
>>   ** Archive     :ARCHIVE:...
>>   *** Bar...
>>
>> Expected visibility:
>>
>>   * Foo
>>   ** Archive     :ARCHIVE:...

AFAICT, the action leaves point on the just archived sub-heading. As
a consequence, it has to visible.

Your expected visibility means the function should move point. Why would
that be better than letting it on the headline you just operated on?

>> AFAIK, there is no special location in the file for archived subtrees,
>> i.e., there is nothing wrong with
>>
>>   * Some projects
>>   ** Some item...
>>   ** Archive :ARCHIVE:...
>>   ** New entry...
>
> This bug means that the Archive headline's position is significant.

I fail to see how you draw such a conclusion.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou