Re: [O] Bug: shiftmeta[left|right] on multi line items [9.1.2 (release_9

From: Nathan Aclander
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: shiftmeta[left|right] on multi line items [9.1.2 (release_9.1.2-40-g6ca906 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/org/)]
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2017 21:25:56 -0800

Allen Li <address@hidden> writes:
> I think what Nicolas is saying is this (^ is point):
>
> * ^Heading
>
> M-S-left/right works here.
>
> * Heading
> ^content text
>
> M-S-left/right does not work here.  Let’s assume that it does work
> here to be consistent with the feature/bug you are requesting.
>
> * Heading
>
> - foo
>   - bar
>     ^second bar line
>
> M-S-left/right does not work here.  Let’s assume that it does work
> here per the feature/bug you are requesting.  Does it move bar, foo,
> or Heading?  What if the text is very long and you cannot see where
> you are?

>   some very long text
>   ^some very long text
>   some very long text
>
> What M-S-left/right does would be very confusing.

Using ^ as point like you did, what I am expecting to happen is:

Case 1:

* Heading

- foo
  - ^bar
    second bar line

M-S-left/right moves

- bar
  second bar line

left and right.

Case 2:

- foo
  - bar
    ^second bar line

M-S-left/right moves

- bar
  second bar line

left and right.

Case 3:
  some very long text
  ^some very long text
  some very long text

Whatever sub list that "some very long text" is part of should be moved
left and right.

None of these scenarios seem very confusing, and ( at least to me ) seem
more consistent than the current behavior. Could you explain why you
find adding this behavior would make this confusing?

As a current workaround, what I have to do is:

1. save point
2. Go to the parent sub-list
3. Shift left or right
4. move point back to its previous location.

Nathan