Re: [O] org to static site?

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] org to static site?
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 13:30:39 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> On 12/01/2017 at 18:19 Adonay Felipe Nogueira writes:
>
>> The best approach for me is also to use something such as org-publish,
>> and a simple static site server such as GNU Serveez.
>
> Have you used org-publish in earnest?  I settled on the approach used in
> https://github.com/myglc2/emacsite only after trying out org-publish
> extensively.  I needed source and generated content to sit together in
> the working tree of complex multi-level reproducible research projects
> and to be transparently revision controlled and hosted on the
> organization's Github Entreprise server.

I am happy that you found a method that works for you.

As a contrasting point, I don’t see why you couldn’t do that with
ox-publish.el in addition to maybe Make.

Based on your description, I’d copy source files using
org-publish-attachment to a publish dir and compiled files to the same dir
via different projects in org-publish-project-alist.  I don’t know how
github works re CI, but with Gitlab you’d then mark the publish folder as
an artifact folder that would be published.  For each commit you’d then
have a zip and a website with source and compiled data / code.

If you have any suggestions on how to improve ox-publish to better suit
please share them.

> After studying both approaches I found the emacsite approach to work
> better than org-publish. Just to be clear, emacsite does not require
> GitHub. You can equally well serve the site from the development tree,
> or you can publish by doing git push to non bare git repos hosted on web
> servers. In this way emacsite effectively automates site publishing
> using make and git which I found to be more reliable than org-publish.

For publishing something to the web I’d personally use CI or just cp.
You could use git using :publishing-function or maybe
:publishing-directory if tramp somehow supports git.

Rasmus

--
Tack, ni svenska vakttorn. Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä!