Re: [O] function for inserting a block

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] function for inserting a block
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 13:36:40 -0800

"Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen writes:
>
>> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Eric,

>>> I’d prefer that.  For some special blocks, a few characters might makes it
>>> more intuitive, e.g. "def" → "definition", "hyp" → "hypothesis" etc.
>>
>> Here's the simplest solution.
>>
>> There still remains the fact that `org-structure-template-alist' has
>> changed format, and `org-try-structure-completion' no longer exists.
>> That may still annoy some people who were using the internals of the
>> process, but...
>
> Would something like this work?
>
> (defun org-try-structure-completion ()
>   (tempo-complete-tag))

Here's the newest version!

It incorporates Rasmus' org-tempo.el file, with modifications, and
Thomas' suggestion to re-instate `org-try-structure-completion', and,
erm, stardiviner's request to honor
`org-babel-uppercase-example-markers'.

Remaining issues:

1. The "org-include" tempo template doesn't work, for reasons I don't
   understand (I've never used tempo before). Nothing happens when I hit
   <TAB>.
2. Now it seems like there should be completion when prompting for a
   string key. Feature creep! But likely worthwhile feature creep.
3. I've rather rashly renamed the relevant customization options
   `org-structure-block-alist' (for blocks added via
   `org-insert-structure-template') and `org-structure-keyword-alist'
   (for keywords insertable via the tempo system). Perhaps this was a
   bad idea. If it's not a bad idea, maybe
   `org-insert-structure-template' should be renamed `org-insert-block'
   or something like that.
3. Docs need to be updated.

Comments welcome!

Eric