Re: [O] How to use case sensitive org-search-view?

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: Re: [O] How to use case sensitive org-search-view?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 16:30:00 +0100

Matt Lundin writes on Tue 14 Nov 2017 08:26:

 > > Suppose I have an org file with
 > >
 > > * FOO
 > > * foo
 > >
 > > I would like to use org-search-view (C-c a s) so as to (say) list
 > > only the first entry.

 > Unfortunately, it looks like org-search-view is hard-coded to be
 > case-insensitive. I think a very hackish workaround would be to
 > advise org-search-view to create and then remove an "around" advice
 > that wraps re-search-forward in a "let" declaration setting
 > case-fold-search to nil. But this would be a fairly horrific hack.
 >
 > In the long run, I believe the Org Mode code would need to be
 > changed to make this customizable.

In the meantime, shouldn't this "glitch" be mentioned in the manual?

The manual does say that 'C-c a s'

    Create a list of entries selected by a boolean expression of
    keywords and/or regular expressions [...]

Same problem for the 'C-c a s' minibuffer prompt:

    Phrase or [+-]Word/{Regexp}

and the subsequent

    Press `[', `]' to add/sub word, `{', `}' to add/sub regexp

I also realized that, consistently, using +{[[:upper:]]+o}, also lists
both entries.

Finally, trying to narrow the FOO + foo search results using '=':

    `=     (`org-agenda-filter-by-regexp')'
        Filter the agenda view by a regular expression: only show
        agenda entries matching the regular expression the user
        entered.

and typing explicitly 'FOO' fails accordingly.

The tutorial
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/advanced-searching.html does not
seem to mention this point either.

Anyway, thanks you very much for your time and feed back.

Regards
a.

PS: considering "horrific hack", I think you meant "In the /short/
run...", but I'm sure the Org developpers have understood it correctly
:-)

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
IPG (Institut de Physique du Globe) | address@hidden