Re: [O] function for inserting a block

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] function for inserting a block
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 15:46:09 +0100

> Takaaki Ishikawa <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I also support the idea of keeping "<s" as it was.
>> Please give importance to the backward compatibility in this case.
>
> I explained why I thought it could be removed. I also suggested
> solutions to get an equivalent feature without implementing it in Org.

Which sounds fair.

> What is wrong with Abbrev mode, skeletons, tempo.el, expand.el, all
> bundled with Emacs, or YASnippet, in the Emacs ecosystem? It sounds like
> NIH. Or, to put it differently: why in the world would Org implement its
> own template system?

tempo.el, which I was unaware of, will be able to do this.  Thanks for the
pointer.

I have started to write a replacement.  It seems to work fairly OK so far.
Not all keywords have been added, and no mechanism for adding additional
keywords is there yet.

Nicolas, what would be the best way to hook ‘tempo-complete-tag’ into
"space"?  Should I add support directly in org-self-insert-command or add
it to post-command-hook?

> The onbly argument so far is "<" cannot be expanded since it not word
> constituent. Seriously. "<" has no meaning anyway. You can use "@",
> which is word constituent and just as meaningless. So, you can define,
> e.g., a skeleton, that will expand "@s" to "#+begin_src\n#+end_src".

A small aside: on my keyboard layout < is easy to type.  I don’t like
typing @.

> We can even document how to do it in the manual.

Of course.

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
I feel emotional landscapes they puzzle me