[O] References: simplifying org mode usage for Bibtex files

From: lngndvs
Subject: [O] References: simplifying org mode usage for Bibtex files
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 16:00:36 -0800

My need is for a simple work flow/usage of Orgmode to annotate and
organize existing BibTex *.bib files.  I have mentioned on this list
that I had found Cb2Bib to work extremely well for, so to speak,
harvesting references from Google Scholar.  In fact, Pere Constans,
developer of Cb2Bib, recently helped me to streamline this usage to
allow the use of the "Annotation" field, and I have also worked out a
way to output and print a pdf with this field using Cb2Bib's bib2pdf
utility.  I use this as a basis for library research.

However, I have a wide range of such references in each file, over
dozens of topics, and I would like to incorporate by some means an
ability to include org-mode subheadings with maybe tags, so enable the
citations to be more easily sorted.

I do not need to have automatic selection for a bibliography in the
output, or automatic insertion of citations, at this point.

I have asked this question on this list, and studied from time to time
the solutions for using org-mode with bibtex, and visa-versa.  I don't
really have the time or inclination to learn  these.

I remember  that  in BibTeX documentation, was mention that almost
anything outside of the individual records could serve as a comment.
This is more or less what I have in mind.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who use such a simple approach.
It would be most convenient if it were not necessary to change the
extension of the *.bib files; I used to do this, but the extra steps
for each reference was exhausting.

Thank you for any ideas,

Alan Davis