Re: [O] Running org-mode (and emacs) inside the Web browser ?

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: [O] Running org-mode (and emacs) inside the Web browser ?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 17:58:33 +0200

Hi.

I've had this crazy idea to try and "port" emacs to the Web browser
(using some tools like [[https://browsix.org/][browsix]]), for the
purpose of running org-mode inside a browser tab.

Anyone having had the same idea yet ?

Definitely, except I didn't even try to take action :)

Interestingly, porting a C program to browsix currently seem to rely on
emscripten and LLVM... which might not be the best toolchain for
building Gnu Emacs... but trolls aside, I'd be curious of the
feasability.

I'm not exactly sure why that would be worth doing... but I can imagine
running that Emacs Web browser port over some kind of versioned file
system, and Emacs conf files (org + tangling, of course), so that you
have "your" org-mode at hand from anywhere using a URL and a browser
tab... of course, using a keyboard for browsing that tab would be better
than a touch screen, re keyboard shortcuts.

I don't think that the approach to port emacs to run into the browser would be the
one offering the best reward. Once you manage to fix all the difficult point, you will
probably get something unbearably slow.

I think the best reward would be to build a ShareEmacs in the same vein as ShareLaTeX
(merged with Overleaf now).
The big step would be to run emacs on a server and render emacs in the browser.
Then to allow several users to edit concurrently the same org file.

My 0.02€ :-)

Fabrice