Re: [O] *Good* client for Android?

From: John Goerzen
Subject: Re: [O] *Good* client for Android?
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 08:34:01 -0500

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thursday, 12 Oct 2017 at 16:28, John Goerzen wrote:
>> Dropbox is really not a great option here.)  Sync integrity -- or at
>> least robust detection of conflicts -- is a must.  Encryption is a "very
>> nice to have."
>>
>> Suggestions?
>
> I am not sure what you are asking for.  What is missing in MobileOrg?
> You say it is suffering from bitrot but it works just fine for me on a
> daily basis, with no issues having multiple Android devices using the
> same location.  Okay, it no longer works with Dropbox but it does work
> with a number of other media.

The bitrot is a big concern.  Android moves pretty fast, and something
that was last updated in 2013 is likely to not play well with a phone on
Oreo (such as mine).  I could be surprised, I suppose.

I want as conflict-free a setup as possible, with good resolution of
conflicts when they do occur.  MobileOrg seems to be good at this, just
from reading the manual.  I'm not convinced that, say, Orgzly would be.

The other is that there is a lack of support for encryption.  It is not
an absolute requirement for me, but is certainly very much a "nice to
have".  Storing unencrypted stuff on a server is not really ideal.

(None of the other mobile clients save MobileOrg for iOS seem to have
this feature either.)

> For instance, I have recently started playing with org-dropbox [1] for
> capturing notes from an Android device.  But I will keep using MobileOrg
> as I need Google calendar synchronisation.

That's an interesting project - thanks.

-- John