Re: [O] Bug: syntax highlighting in ox-odt and emacs26+ broken [9.1.2 (9

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: syntax highlighting in ox-odt and emacs26+ broken [9.1.2 (9.1.2-elpa @ /home/jay/Code/tmp/emacs/lisp/org/)]
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 08:57:58 +1100

I'm not an org developer, but I did notice a message on the emacs-devel
list a few days ago stating that Emacs 26 has updated to use org 9.1.1.

As Emacs 26 is a moving target and this problem does not appear in the
latest stable version i.e. 25.3, I would agree this is most likely due
to a change in emacs 26 and may indicate either a bug in Emacs 26 or an
incompatible change in Emacs 26 which may require changes to
org. However, I think it would be unwise to try and address the issue in
org until Emacs 26 is closer to a release as there is too high a chance
that any change we make to org will be undone by further refinements in
Emacs 26.

My recommendation would be to confirm if the problem exists in the org
bundled with Emacs 26 (9.1.1) and if it is, report this on the emacs
devel list, making it clear the issue does not exist with emacs
25.3. This will at least allow Emacs devel to note that something which
it is changing is either buggy and needs more work or is an incompatible
change for org (and possibly other modes) which will need to be
added to the changes/News file and addressed by mode authors prior to 26
being released.

Tim

--
Tim Cross