Re: [O] [ANN] Agenda speed up

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] Agenda speed up
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2017 19:33:23 +0200

Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:

> I am finding that the branch is still much slower than the current
> master even when no agenda files have changed (i.e., when running
> org-agenda-redo in an existing agenda buffer without changing
> anything).

This is interesting. Could you provide a report of the second call to
the same view? Or better, both reports for the first and subsequent
view. The second view should definitely be faster.

> This is true even when I set org-element-use-cache to t.

This variable has nothing to do with the current patch set. You can
ignore it.

>> OTOH, displaying, e.g., a whole week, month, year should be a lot
>> faster.
>
> Is this an unavoidable trade-off? Since I am constantly refreshing
> single day agenda buffers and todo lists, I would much prefer a faster
> single day display to a faster week or month display.

Good question.

Currently, Agenda is pretty much tailored for single day display. So,
this would be difficult to improve. Using a cache, we can avoid finding
again the same data, so we can speed up subsequent parsing. Yet, when
there is little data to find, the cache is not very helpful. Luckily, it
means the Agenda is quickly generated in those cases anyway.

However, current Agenda is terrible when displaying multiple days. Some
people wait more than 30 s for a month view. This is where the current
patch set really shines.

I can look into your issue with proper reports as there may be ways to
improve it, but I'm more interesting in, e.g., halving the 30 s from
a month view than reducing the 1 s it takes to display a day view.

Regards,