Re: [O] Release Org 9.1 soon ?

From: Bastien Guerry
Subject: Re: [O] Release Org 9.1 soon ?
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 14:32:55 +0200

Hi Kaushal and Nicolas,

> There's no hurry anyways. I don't consider this to be a blocker for Org
> 9.1. Of course, it is better if it can be integrated before.

If org-set-tags is to be rewritten, we need to carefully test the
rewrite before integrating it.  So 9.2 is a decent goal for it,
assuming 9.2 will be closer to 9.1 than 9.1 to 9.0.

> Please do, but first, why do you think it is better to have it in core
> instead of, e.g., GNU Elpa? Doesn't "ox-publish" provide some static
> site generation features already?
>
> Also, "ox-hugo" requires "ox-blackfriday", which is another Markdown
> back-end. I'm not questioning the usefulness of this package, but
> I think we need very good reasons to provide overlapping features out of
> the box.

Indeed.  Again, the biggest issue here is that of discoverability,
and moving code into core is the simplest way, but not necessarily
the better.  We can expect new exporters to live in GNU ELPA (or
elsewhere) first, then to be included in core is there is a strong
support and a strong need for it.

--
 Bastien