Re: [O] setting local variables

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] setting local variables
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2017 18:06:42 -0700

> Hello,
>
> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> And regarding the lists of commands and keys, what would be the
>> recommended way of making a list of @deffns and corresponding index
>> entries?
>
> I don't know what is a list of @deffns. In any case, you can something
> like this:
>
>   #+attr_texinfo: :options category name arguments...
>
>   #+begin_deffn
>   #+end_deffn
>
> AFAIU, @deffn takes care of indexing "name".

I just meant that it's very common when writing manuals to have lists of
commands, keys, user options, etc. The texinfo-plus output doesn't quite
look like the Emacs manuals, but it produces something that works.

For example, the below looks like something you'd find in an Emacs
manual.

#+BEGIN_SRC texinfo
  @table @kbd
  @item C-x C-f
  @kindex C-x C-f
  @findex find-file
  Visit a file (@code{find-file}).
  @item C-x C-r
  @kindex C-x C-r
  @findex find-file-read-only
  Visit a file for viewing, without allowing changes to it
  (@code{find-file-read-only}).
  @end table
#+END_SRC

This gets me some of the way:

#+BEGIN_SRC org
#+ATTR_TEXINFO: :options @kbd
#+begin_table
- C-x C-f
#+KINDEX: C-x C-f
Visit a file (@code{find-file}).
- C-x C-r
  #+KINDEX: C-x C-r
  #+FINDEX: find-file-read-only
  Visit a file for viewing, without allowing changes to it
#+end_table
#+END_SRC

But the items are exported incorrectly, with each list item in its own
itemize environment. How would I get something closer to the texinfo
output above?

>> Perhaps it would be enough to expand the example document in
>> the texinfo section of the Org manual.
>
> The point of the example document in the Org manual is to be the exact
> equivalent to the example in the Texinfo example. The latter doesn't use
> "@deffn" commands.

Okay, I see.

On the one hand, it isn't Org's job to teach people how to write Emacs
manuals. On the other hand, if there's a nice solution

Thanks,
Eric