Re: [O] [feature-request] make org-quote-csv-field customizable

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [feature-request] make org-quote-csv-field customizable
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2017 00:13:44 +0200

Hello,

Thomas von Dein <address@hidden> writes:

> currently when exporting a table to CSV, fields are quoted automatically
> if they contain a comma or a quote character. The regexp for this
> determination is hard-coded in 'org-quote-csv-field.
>
> This is good for most use cases. However, if you want to import such a
> CSV with MS Excel then some unquoted fields will be automatically
> converted by Excel into another format.
>
> An example is a field containing 192.168.10.233. 'org-quote-csv-field
> doesn't quote it, but Excel - for reasons I cannot fathom - considers
> this a number (it doesn't do this when the last octet is below 233
> though) and converts it to 19216810233 - which is wrong.
>
> I wrote the following code to circumvent this Excel bug:
>
> (defun tvd-org-quote-csv-field (s)
>   "Quote every field and precede it with = to disable excel automatisms."
>   (if (string-match "." s)
>       (concat "=\"" (mapconcat 'identity
>                                (split-string s "\"") "\"\"") "\"")
>     s))
>
> (defun table-to-excel ()
>   "export current org table to CSV format suitable for MS Excel."
>   (interactive)
>   ;; quote everything, map temporarily 'org-quote-csv-field
>   ;; to my version
>   (cl-letf (((symbol-function 'org-quote-csv-field)
>              #'tvd-org-quote-csv-field))
>            (org-table-export "/tmp/ex.csv" "orgtbl-to-csv")))
>
> To make this customizable, it would be good to have a variable which
> contains the regex to determine what to quote. A parameter to
> org-table-export would be an even better solution.

It is already possible. When asked for a format for conversion, you can
write something like:

  orgtbl-to-csv :fmt tvd-org-quote-csv-field

You can also define your own format:

(defun my-orgtbl-to-Excel (table params)
  "Convert the orgtbl-mode table to Excel.
This does take care of the proper quoting of fields with comma or quotes."
  (orgtbl-to-generic table
                     (org-combine-plists '(:sep "," :fmt
tvd-org-quote-csv-field)
                                         params)))

and use it when prompted for a format in `org-table-export'.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou